Delicious Zapatka Vegan Grilled Cheese and TOMA VIDA Soup
We know you might be thinking, “Vegan Grilled Cheese? How can this be possible?” Well sit tight and rest assured that this plant-based and dairy free alternative sandwich is just what you are looking for, whether you are craving a quick and easy gourmet lunch or dinner! The use of vegan cheese, whole grain bread, and nutrient rich creamy spinach puts a healthy spin on the classic grilled cheese and tomato soup duo. Paired instead with our tangy TOMA VIDA soup, an aha favorite, you are guaranteed to enjoy this flavor blasted combination and all of its plant-based benefits!
Serving Size: 2 sandwiches
1 tbsp. olive oil
2 cloves of garlic minced
3 cups of fresh spinach roughly chopped
Pinch of salt for taste
2 tbsp. of vegan cream cheese
Grilled Cheese Sandwich:
4 slices of your choice of whole grain/multigrain bread
1 tbsp. of vegan butter/oil
1 cup of vegan cheddar cheese
- Heat a teaspoon of olive oil in a skillet.
- Add the garlic and saute for 30 seconds.
- Next add the spinach and a pinch of salt, saute for a further minute until just wilted.
- Transfer to a bowl, drain off any excess liquid, then stir in the vegan cream cheese and another pinch of salt to taste.
Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- Clean the same skillet (or use another large pan) and heat to medium-high heat.
- Spread vegan butter (or oil) on one side of each of the bread slices.
- Once the pan is hot, add 2 slices of bread, buttered side down, spreading some shredded cheese on each slice ( ½ cup cheese per sandwich) along with the cream cheese filling.
- Place the remaining slices on top of the two in the pan, using a spatula to gently press down on the grilled cheese during frying.
- When the bottom slice is browned, flip the sandwich and cook until the other side browns as well and the cheese is melted, about 2-4 minutes each side. Enjoy!
Recipe by Bianca Zapatka, author of BiancaZapatka.com
One spoonful at a time,